Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pennisula Fine Arts Center

Thursday, August 12
Tanya and Chris drive down from Boston yesterday and joined our group here in Virginia. The trip took longer than they thought, they got lost a couple times - but were able to find their way.


I saved a visit to the Pennisula Fine Arts Center so I could go with Tanya - because I thought it would be more enjoyable to experience it with someone who has an artistic viewpoint. They had a wonderful exhibition. The work had been gathered throughout the country and had been created by various people who had not received artistic training. All the artists had some type of disability - emotional or physical. The pieces were collected together to show the various viewpoints or perceptions individuals have of their surroundings. Some of the work was truly amazing.
















Some of our favorite works were in the ocean collection. The waterfall was handsewn from plastic grocery bags by a blind person. The stitching was amazing!




























A local artist from the Williamsburg area also had work displayed. We loved his collage pieces. I believe he was 80 years old. He began his art career after he retired.
















I don't know if this was a favorite activity - but it certainly was interesting and I even saw something I hadn't seen before.

No comments: