On August 1st we drove to Alamogordo, New Mexico. Mike and I stayed with Carmen and Jeff Rhein. They are dear friends, and we have missed them since our move to Virginia. We went bowling (I did really bad!) and played Sequence (Jeff and I really tried hard to win, but Mike and Carmen were more ruthless!). We were able to visit with Jerry Lott (Principal of Holloman Primary) and his wife, and the Bond family. Mike was able to see his sister, Jeanne, and help her with a few things. We enjoyed going to church on Sunday morning and seeing members who mean so much to us. I had a wonderful surprise when Wendi Franks walked in. We met when we were both attending NMSU-A. Wendi asked to come to church, took the missionary discussions and was baptized. She moved away to finish her degree. She recently moved back to Alamogordo, and that happened to be her first Sunday to attend church. I don't believe it was a coincidence that we were there that day. I felt prompted to bear my testimony (which I rarely do).
After church we headed for Albuquerque, to visit Jonathan, Heidi, Morgan, Sydney, and Braden. We had the wonderful opportunity to spend time with the grandkids while Heidi went to Utah for her grandfather's funeral and Jon worked. We loved getting to know Braden. What a cutie! Morgan and Sydney were wonderful helpers. We love you guys!

They have a wonderful garden in their backyard. We ate fresh tomatoes and Jonathan cooked eggplant parmigiana. We thought it was yummy, but the girls were a litttle cautious.
We had an exciting day on Tuesday. In the morning, while Jon was at work, we took the grandkids to Explora, a wonderful hands-on museum.

They have the most amazing elevator there - It is the size of a room, and is decorated that way. You can sit on couches or chairs as you ride the elevator. The girls had a great time in the craft room and with the water displays. Braden loved the sound displays.
That afternoon Jon took us to the Jimez River for fly fishing practice and a cookout. We had a wonderful time, even when it was sprinkling. The guys just kept fishing, while we cooked hotdogs and ate. Jonathan caught a small fish that he let go. The kids finished eating as it started to rain harder. We headed for the van, to get out of the rain. I made a few trips back and forth to load items, but the guys continued to fish. They finally realized how much rain was falling and called it quits. We worried about the amount of water there could be on the road as we drove out, but we made it out okay. 

On Wednesday afternoon Heidi returned and we were able to spend some time with her. We had a wonderful dutch oven dinner to celebrate Jonathan's birthday.
We had a wonderful visit. It was great to be out west - feel the cool morning air, see the beautiful sunsets, and spend time with friends and family.




3 comments:
We sure enjoyed having you come and visit. I know the kids had a great time. I REALLY appreciated your help so that I could be in Utah for the funeral. Hope to see you again very soon.
I didn't know they went fishing there too. Funny that guys can always fish in the rain. The elevator sounds so cool. If we ever make it down there I'll have to take the kids. Sounds like a fun day
Hey guys its Britten! Laurel gave me the link to her blog and saw you guys were on there too. Looks like the wedding was beautiful. It is great to read up on what you all are up to. I miss Laurel like crazy. You never have friends like you did when you were little. I just wanted to pop in and say HI. Hope things are well with you guys. Take care
Post a Comment