We have lived in Virginia for one year and my favorite place is Williamsburg, a short 30 minute drive from our house. I love the history and the beauty of the city. It feels so tranquil, even though it is a Revolutionary City. Mike and I bought year passes so we could go often. It is exciting to walk the historic streets, view the dramas, and learn our country's history.
Tristen trying on a three corner hat in Williamsburg, VA. 
We walked through a plantation that is being built just below the historic city of Willliamsburg. They are using the same tools and materials they would have when the city was first built. Mike watches as a log is split to make a shingle. We also saw crops of tobacco that had been planted. They water by hand, carring a bucket and ladel.
When we entered Historic Williamsburg we visited the Governor's palace first. it was beautiful. The foyer is covered with wood paneling. It has swords, pistols and rifles displayed on every wall. The British decorated it to show power.A bed in the Governor's Palace.
The sitting room was covered in leather wall paper that was gold-leafed. I imagine in the candle light the walls glistened.

We watched as wool was spun and woven. The colonial ladies shared stories of women ordering new ballgowns or secretly having gowns altered and how yarns were dyed. It was interesting to learn that certain colors were chosen because they showed wealth and status.


This was part of the Revolutionary City reenactment. We watched as townspeople gathered and Benedict Arnold advised them to submit to the British.

One of our favorite events is to watch the Fife and Drum Corps march. Here we watched an exhibition as we awaited the arrival of General George Washington. 

1 comment:
I love this picture. I am so glad that you started up a blog. How did the hair appointment go tonight?
Post a Comment