
Yea! Summer is here. I was so grateful for the last day of school to come. After a challening year I need a rest. My first day of summer break I spent replanting my front flower bed. I had to pull out the old plants and all the weeds. After turning the dirt over I headed out to find new plants.
I fell in love with this Lantana, the combination of yellow and pink blossoms. It is a plant that is not particular to soil type and can be a perennial in warm climate. It can grow between 12-24 inches.
Argyranthemum has a daisylike flower that is long-lasting as a cut flower. it is commonly used in borders or containers. It will grow 15-18 inches. I interspersed it among my other flowers.
I also chose a Lobelia. I love the delicate blue blossoms. I scattered three large plants throughout the bed.
I was thrilled to find Mexican Heather. It is a plant that I also used in my flower beds in Alamogordo. The plant has small purple blossoms.
The final plant choice was a pink begonia. I waited until evening to put the plants in the bed, hoping they would do better with a cool night. It was dark when the last plants were planted. On Monday, I put mulch down to help the ground retain moinsture. The mulch really helps. I left town for a week - hoping the garden would not perish while I was gone. Mike came home and watered mid-week. I was thrilled when I returned and saw how much the plants had grown.
After all that work we had to celebrate. What better way to celebrate and cool off than with ice cream! Tanya and I headed over to Rita's. Thay serve a Gelati that is absolutely wonderful. They put a frozen custard in the bottom, add Italian ice, and top with more custard.
Yummy!
3 comments:
The flowers look nice. Do you want to come and do my flowerbeds? I don't think I have the green thumb like you do.
I forget how green and beautiful it can be in other parts of the country. I'm still trying to figure out gardening here in Arizona.
mmmm ritas! Unfortunately I dont think they have those in france.
Post a Comment